Life...

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Monday, July 19, 2010

Shopping in Florence!!!

Some of you may have noticed I was a wee bit quiet the first few days in Firenze. I felt a little out of sorts, when I took a bus ride to the town center, where The Duomo stands somewhat at the center and various piazzas surround it.
At first site, you are bombarded with labels like Prada, Gucci, Miu Miu juxtaposed with renaissance architecture. Something was not sitting well with me. I am used to seeing those labels with modern shops like in LA, New York. Here I flew all this way to be drowning in a sea of labels and feeling out of sorts.

I began meandering daily along the narrow side streets and walked through piazza after piazza, and I soon discovered they have tons of outdoor markets. Unlike our markets, these stalls or stands would be selling what I consider to be high end...purses made in lamb skin with beautiful buckles at 100 euro or more.
As I approached each vendor, I realised one common thing between them....they were all from the Middle East, more specifically the leather vendors were from Iran.
This amused me.

Being a desert dweller, I hate paying full price. I love bargaining, striking a deal, the whole dance between the buyer and seller....until both parties reach that zone to make the sale. And so I began dancing...
Let's just say, I am coming home with one too many leather purses, one too many silk scarves, one too many wallets...and proud that I didn't pay those crazy prices in the boutiques and most of all...all products are made in Bella Italia, not China!!!

Their leather feels sooooooooo soft!!!
So, if you are ever in Florence, don't pay their asking price...drop the asking price by 40%!

No comments:

Post a Comment