Life...

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Friday, July 16, 2010

Finally afforded a Gondola ride....Bellissima!


Yesterday afternoon, around 3:45, I chatted with a man from Ocho Rios. Of course, true to form, I asked him if he was lost. Jamaica is that way, I pointed in some strange direction. He laughed.

He now works in Venice and lives on the Main land to reduce cost of living. He works in the tourism industry and like everyone else on this planet he has his story. It starts with "I fell in love with an Italian woman" and continues with "we had a son, whom I love dearly" and ends with "we are no longer together". To remain close to his son, he flew to Itlay, Venice namely, and began learning street Venetian and hustled for work....and now it works for a Gondola touring company.

I think he liked me green eyes....for I ONLY PAID 29 Euros to set sail on this Gondola. Four other people joined me and we had the cock-eyed Gondolier sail us away through the maze of canals. What a treat!!!
Indeed, it is a ride to remember. Most Gondoliers LOVE to flirt with the tourists. Most of them are in amazing shape. You do have a series of them who are Richard Simmons doubles, with pink bandanas and matching pink sneekers...they amuse me most, as they are the ones to sing the loudest to attract better tips.

Some interesting facts now. Gondoliers go to Gondola School...for two years!!
Gondoliers are unionised!!!
Some Gondoliers leave their true profession (doctors, lawyers...OY it's a Jewish Mother's nightmare) to earn more money. How much you ask? They earn 100 euros an hour.

It will be a ride to remember...along with my heat stroke kicking in a notch!!!!
Arrivederci for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment